Thursday, January 19, 2012

One Step at a Time

One step at a time. One sentence at a time. One word at a time. That’s what writing is. I love writing this blogspot, which is not a “this is what I did today” blog, but rather “these are the steps I’ve taken and the words I have shared” in my 39 years of teaching early childhood.

This blogspot, Colored with a Positive Crayon, is a front runner to my book of the same title. And that’s what I feel compelled to focus on right now – to finish writing the book. I’ll continue my weekly posts on my facebook page of the same name (that’s called marketing!), but will put aside writing new blogspots for a time.

Meanwhile, I suggest you look for parenting ideas on the exceptional website, Playful Early Learners. The posts and articles are rich with information about how young children learn through the simple, everyday activities of play, conversation, and storybooks. I highly recommend it.

For more reading ideas, look up Mem Fox's excellent website. Mem is one of my favorite children’s authors, not only because of her wonderful stories, but also because of her compassion for young children and their learning. And then, for the fun of it and for a little of “this and that,” I recommend the warm and folksy blogspot, Notes from the Nelsens.

Today, have fun one step at a time, one message at a time, one word at a time. Your words, and the emotions behind them, play endlessly on the tape recorder of your child’s mind. May your messages say, even in the disquiet of difficult days, “I love you, just the way you are.”

A Colorful Thought: The buckets of nurturing words you dump in your child’s head are critical for his life success.

No comments:

Post a Comment